How To :: Save Money

With summer on the way, most of us already have jobs or are searching for jobs. Summer is full of doing tons of fun activities, but the only problem is they cost money. In order to make sure that you have money to do all of these things, the envelope method is a handy and efficient strategy to use.


I discovered the envelope method through Pinterest but didn't really find a need to use it until I found out I was going to the Pitbull and Ke$ha concert. My ticket cost $150 (ridiculous, right?!), and my mom told me she'd pay for the whole thing, but I felt really bad. So I saved aside $75 in an envelope labeled "Pitbull and Ke$ha Concert" because I wanted to pay for half of it. She actually wouldn't accept it, so I snuck it in her wallet without her knowing!

Once I put the money in an envelope, I put the envelope somewhere safe in my room. I actually ended up completely forgetting I had the envelope saved a side, which was a good thing because then I wouldn't be tempted to take the money out and spend it. The envelope system is efficient and handy because spending money can be tempting. If you want to save money for something, you won't be tempted to spend it on something else because you won't actually have the money with you to spend. You can save aside money for vacations, concerts, that pair of Jack Rogers that you really want, etc. It's especially helpful if you have a job because then right when you get a paycheck, you can keep some of your money and put the rest in the envelopes labeled gas money, car insurance, etc.

To make this system more fun and enjoyable, use bright envelopes (as shown above) and label them with pretty-colored pens or pretty labels!

Have you heard of the envelope system or used it before?

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I've never heard of this but love the concept! Things keep coming up that I want, but I don't want to take money out of my main savings account, so this would be perfect!

    xobrittanymichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete