The Importance of Libraries

(Image found here.)

With reading devices such as Kindles, Nooks, and even iPads, libraries are starting to get less and less visitors. Why go out and drive to the library when you can just buy a book on an electronic device? Well, my thinking is the complete opposite. One of my favorite things in the world is libraries. Every time I go to the library, I just get in complete awe that I can get whatever book I want, and however many books I want, for free.

I absolutely love reading and can read quite fast. Therefore, it would be a waste of money for me to buy every book that I want to read because a) there are a lot of books I want to read and b) I don't read the same book twice unless I want to or have to. Imagine how much money I would spend if I didn't go to the library! Also, I love the feeling and smell of a book. If you spill water on a book, does it break like an electronic would? No. Does the battery die on a book like it does on an electronic? No.

To me, my town library is my second home. It's so quiet and relaxing. Everyone there is so friendly. And lastly, everyone there shares the same interest as you - reading. There is no limit - you can make friends with people from the ages of 4 to 84!

My English teacher from last year, a woman who I very much look up to and admire, shared a similar post to this one, so I suggest you check it out! You can view it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment